Our ‘Run the Ridge’ race series features a long and a short course. The first 2 km and the last 5 km are shared between the two routes making the short course a perfect warm-up if you want to try the full 20 km next year.
Both routes are fully marked and navigational skills, while an advantage are not needed, but you need to stay aware of your surroundings so you do not miss markers or marshals.
Both routes start and finish at the Laragh GAA grounds. The last 800m of each course is a long circuit of the GAA ground before you can celebrate in the finish line chute!
Long course – ‘Run the Ridge’
(20 km, 660 metres climb)
This testing courses features 20 km of grass, trail and open mountain with a variety of terrain and, weather permitting, stunning views.
View and download course (on GarminConnect)
20k Mandatory Kit requirement: This is a self-sufficient race. There are no water stations on either race route.
- Fully water-proof jacket. No jacket, no race.
- Fully charged mobile phone with Race Directors number stored in it. (recommend inside ziplock bag)
- Any sustenance and water you know you will need for the duration of this event.
Suggested additional kit:
- Water and sustenance (dependent on experience and expected finishing time),
- Water-proof bottoms
- Light running hat
- Foil blanket
- Map of the race (Lugnacoille and Glendalough 1:30,000 from EastWest Mapping recommended)
- Compass (if you know how to use it).
Note most of this equipment will be of benefit in case of emergency.
Short course – ‘Derrybawn Wood Trail’
(10 km, 260m climb)
The shorter of our two routes takes place entirely on fire-road and scenic forest trails on a challenging but beginner-friendly route through Derrybawn Woods.
10k Mandatory Kit requirement:
(this route is low altitude and mainly sheltered, you will never be further than a few kilometres from the start or a main road).
- Water or wind-proof jacket.
- Small water bottle if required
For more questions on each race please refer to the FAQ.